Thursday 27 April 2006

Flatlined: Making a start on the NCTJ modules

I decided after my last entry to cut out all the distractions that were getting in the way of me learning my shorthand properly, and after what was supposed to be two days of quick tying-up, a week and four days later here I am. I've finished working through my first Teeline book! Now that it's time to start working through my file of NCTJ modules (pictured), I'll look back on what I've learned so far.

Towards the end it was getting kind of hard going through the only book I own so far, Teeline For Journalists. It introduces a larger number of outlines in each chapter, so that by the final chapter on medical journalism, the amount being introduced had made the exercises a little tiresome to wade through with all the page-flipping and even Googling necessary to transcribe accurately. But it's done, and I'm pretty pleased about that.

I've made a pretty decent start on shorthand, often noted to be one of the most difficult skills tested in the national journalism exams. The material officially provided by the NCTJ, with whom I registered at the end of last month, only covers the basics and the staff recommend that students take classes to perfect their writing. I'm quite likely do that eventually, but not right from the start which could be more than a little costly and perhaps too slow. I'll try to take some classes when my speed's already reached a reasonable level.

Still, that's only the start of my journo journey. Now I know how to write the Teeline alphabet, how to link its letters and the the commmon prefixes and suffixes in English, it's my job get to get quick. At the moment a first year primary school student wouldn't be impressed by my writing speed, let alone an interview subject with better things to do, so my task is to get somewhere near the 100 words per minute that will hopefully one day be useful to me in a Journalistic career. Luckily I have some NCTJ teaching tapes to help me out, although realistically the best way to improve will be the undertaking the slog of getting a set of Teeline dictionaries and learning as much of them as I can. Wish me luck.

No comments: